Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Trying to Find the Backdoor

Not being in a position to receive an offer for August is maddening, even when I've told myself countless times that I need to wait at least until October before I start getting my hopes up. I still emailed Pat Evans last night and asked that I be considered for any late additions to a class. While I may reside in Texas, I'd be happy to take a page from Kolbi's book and sprint to DC if a spot became available. I have done the math; I could accept a call for a class within 5 days of it starting and be ready to go (tired, but ready to go). As long as I could get the movers in and out of my apartment in a day-- and let's face it, I'm a broke college-age student, I don't own THAT much stuff--I'd be packed and ready to go within 24 hours. Two days of driving and I'm in Virginia.

Yes, I've played this scenario out in my head every which way. And I'm really hoping one of my compatriots decides at the last minute that they should wait until the next class, leaving me to swoop in and get called earlier.

I honestly won't miss the job I have now. If I have to tell another educator how to spell "academic" or "education," there is a very real chance I might quit on the spot.

5 comments:

A Daring Adventure said...

Bless your heart. It's SO hard to be in limbo.

Hang in there! It will be your turn soon!!

Digger said...

My fingers (and toes) are crossed for you. Waiting is the worst.

Anonymous said...

I definitely feel the same way.

I'll Take Mine... said...

I'm with you too. Limbo-land has many residents. It turns out you don't need travel orders to get there.

hannah said...

You can do it! I was in that position three years ago - all of my earthly possessions and a six-pack of beer could fit with room to spare in my car. Keep your chin up!