Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My Reputation Precedes Me

You know what makes me feel amazing? Being recruited for something because someone has heard that I'm good.

I know I'm betraying my inner feminist by saying and feeling this way, but I much prefer playing sports on mostly or all male teams. In my experience, the level of competition is much higher, and the thrill that much bigger, when you perform well against people who are automatically assumed to be better than you because of gender. I have played ice hockey on all-male teams since I was 8. I now play floorball. If we can get past the gender divisions in IFF's rules, I will be playing for the Austin men's team for the national championship in California in 6 weeks. And now, I'm going to be playing for the local A-level men's roller hockey league because the owner of the sports arena heard I was a good ice hockey goalie.

My dad used to tell me, "If you're really that good, other people will do your bragging for you." There's no bigger compliment or self-esteem booster than when that sentiment rings true.

4 comments:

A Daring Adventure said...

You go, Girl!! :)

fsowannabe said...

Wow! That's awesome. Kudos to you!

My Life Unfolded said...

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

God I hope you make it in, you are going to be such a breath of fresh air.