Thursday, June 3, 2010

Soldiering Through (a.k.a. Today Made Me Cry and I'm Going to Complain about it Here)

I know that, somehow or other, things sort of just work out in my favor. I often go through a lot of stress and aggravation in either finding or waiting for a solution, but things always work out in my favor.

However, there are days like today when I just get overwhelmed and end up in tears. Nothing that happened today was particularly awful on its own, but it's more along the lines of having a pebble in your shoe all day, and then another, and another, until finally you just need to call it quits and stop walking.

I'm way overtired, mostly because I have been working 7:00 - 6:00 for the last two weeks straight trying to get enough money together to pay my bills, and I have an hour and a half commute every day. I'm out of the house for about 12.5 hours minimum per day. I have only 2 or so hours to be at home with my dogs and relax before I go to sleep and get up to start it all over again. It's tough on them and me. As I cleaned up after one of my dogs this morning on our walk, I noticed something that was less-than-great--a worm. This is bad because once one dog gets them, it's almost impossible for the other to not get them. I think I caught it pretty early, as there was only one that I could see, but the medicine won't get to me until early next week. Not only was it money I didn't really have to spend (and this is even after getting a very discounted medicine online), but my poor pup has to live with those disgusting parasites until Tuesday because I'm so broke.

I'm also getting sick. My glands are swollen and I've had a headache all day, so I know this is the beginning stage of whatever I've contracted. I thought my day was already pretty lousy, but 5 minutes before I had to leave work some jerkoff called and was a complete and utter shithead to me. This is how the conversation went (and I am not exaggerating):

ME: "Hello, thank you for calling [my work], how may I help you?"
SHITHEAD: "Yeah, I got a order number for you."
ME: "Unfortunately, our system went down about 15 minutes ago, so I can't pull up your order, but if you tell me what's going on I might be able to troubleshoot it blind."
SHITHEAD: "I SAID I GOT A ORDER NUMBER FOR YOU!"
ME: "Sir, I apologize, but our systems are down. I cannot look up anything regarding your order or your account, but I might be able to help you if you can tell me what is going on with your order."
SHITHEAD: "Okay, so, um, I got this product that y'all sent to me, and I returned it, and y'all were supposed to, like, set up an exchange for me, but I ain't got nothin' now."
ME: "Ah, okay. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to see if they've set up the new order for you, or if they've processed the return. If you call us back first thing in the morning when we reopen, we can certainly help you then."
SHITHEAD, Belligerently: "NAH, NAH, NAH! See, you said TWICE that you could help me if I told you what was going on, and I have my order number, but you ain't done nothin' for me! THIS IS BULLSHIT!"
ME: "Sir, I told you I MIGHT be able to help you. Like I said, our system went down 15 minutes ago, and I cannot see anything at all regarding your return, or a replacement order."
SHITHEAD: "NAH, THAT'S BULLSHIT! YOU SAID YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP ME, AND NOW YOU'RE NOT DOING SHIT!"
ME, getting angry now, but remaining calm: "Sir, I did not guarantee that I'd be able to help you. I said MIGHT. MIGHT means that it's possible I can, and it's possible I can't. Unfortunately, I cannot help you. You will have to call back tomorrow."
SHITHEAD: "I'LL TELL YOU WHAT 'MIGHT' MEANS! IT MEANS YOU A DUMBASS BITCH!"

At that point I terminated the call and reported his number to my managers (neither of whom work late, so that's accountability for you). It's not even like I took his remarks personally, I'm just angry at people like him for being such terrible examples of human beings. Where is the civility? I don't have to have been born 50 years ago to tell you that manners, by and large, are non-existent in today's causal society. And the way people treat those in service positions is just atrocious. I'd had enough, and it was time for me to leave work, so I packed up and left.

Only I had more than an hour to drive home because there was an accident. I was just ready for the day to be over. So I got home, sat down on my couch, and I just started crying. Sometimes I get so beat down by the day-to-day that it's hard to remain positive.

On the bright side, tomorrow is Friday. Also, I'm hosting a potluck barbecue this weekend for some local FSO wannabes, so I do have something to look forward to, if I can just get past today.

7 comments:

Digger said...

I am sorry you had such a crappy day. Hopefully someday soon you will be with us in the Foreign Service and this will be a distant memory.

Anonymous said...

Wow, he really is a shithead. I've definitely dealt with people like that and the only thing that really brings me comfort is that: Shitheads have Shithead lives."

We hope.

Have a better day.

That Lady There said...

My heart goes out to you. You're incredibly strong and smart and you will win out! And guess what? You're an inspiration, too!

A Daring Adventure said...

Oh, bless your heart.

Hugs to you.

So sorry things are so hard right now. :(

njtworld said...

Sorry 'bout the pebbles getting you down.

Hope the FSO hopefuls gathering was a success. We just had one in Boston. It's good to be able to get together with other people who can fully understand the cravings and anxieties of an FSO hopeful.

fsowannabe said...

That sucks. Hopefully you and the dogs are feeling better.

milabrian said...

an you have had a rough one, But remember this you did handle it like a diplomat. Good luck with the FSO. Oh, feel free to add my blog to your list.

http://fromtheshoresoftripoli.blogspot.com