Monday, November 2, 2009

Just a Little Premature

I knew when I chose to go into the Foreign Service that my romantic relationship would be affected. I wondered if it would survive, if it stood a chance, if my experience with distance would be enough to carry me through at least the first tour. I knew going in that the time would come when I'd have to make a choice.

What I didn't realize, however, is how early on this decision would affect me. I am still in the purgatory that is adjudications and yet I am watching this connection dissolve before my very eyes. It's a painful process.

I know that life as a career diplomat is what I want, without hesitation, but is this much carnage necessary so early on?

At times like these, a quiet pause is the best answer I can muster.

3 comments:

Digger said...

I am so sorry you are going through this.

Brandee said...

Thank you, Digger. It's sort of a career vs. career situation, and we're both on the losing end.

Anonymous said...

As a member of the Foreign Service I know exactly what you mean. I hope things worked out well.